We’ve been invited back to march in Portland’s premier annual parade with our full, 140-flag entry! This year’s Grand Floral Parade is Saturday, June 8.
There are still flags available, so invite your RPCV buddies to come along! RSVP to Brittany McLean, parade AT crpca.org or 817-851-9129, ASAP if you want to march in the Grand Floral Parade. Flags are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, so in your message, please include:
- Your name
- Phone number
- Email address
- Your country of service
- Other Peace Corps country flags you’d be willing to carry if your country’s flag has already been reserved
Marchers will have the choice of wearing host country attire OR CRPCA’s parade t-shirt with khaki pants. Our t-shirts were designed by James Cloutier for maximum visual impact during parades. We’re now selling them for $5.00 each. Order your size (adult S, M, L, XL) on our Checkout page. The t-shirts will be delivered at select CRPCA events this spring, and they’ll also be available at our annual picnic on Fri 6/07 and on parade morning Sat 6/08. Marchers, please refrain from wearing other USA-printed t-shirts during the parade.
Here is the schedule of events on parade day. Note that we are asked to collect our flags in the Garden Garage no later than 10:00 am.
- Between 9:30 and 10:00, pick up your flag, People Pass (a new security requirement), and prepaid parade t-shirt in the Garden Garage (on the north side of the Rose Garden arena). You will have an opportunity to check personal possessions (street clothes, water bottles, snacks, etc.) through to the Disband area in the flag vehicle.
- At 10:00, we will walk as a group to the Simpson Room in Memorial Coliseum’s basement. There we will find coffee and can watch the start of the parade.
- At 10:30, we will begin lining up for the parade. We are estimated to enter the route at 11:22.
- During the parade, we are asked not to encourage any behavior that leads to audience members crossing the honor line. Acknowledge the adulation of parade goers with enthusiasm, smiles and waving, maintaining our position in the parade.
- We are estimated to finish the parade at 1:07 pm. Turn in your flag, pick up your personal items, and you are free to go. Interested folks will continue from our Disband area to a nearby pub for lunch.
There will be lots of time to chat with other RPCVs before the parade but not so much after the parade unless you join us at the pub.
Tell your family and friends: We are entry #68 in the parade, just in back of the Westview High School Marching Band. Please send photo and video links immediately after the parade to webmaster AT crpca.org.
The parade goes forward in any weather, and marchers should be prepared to walk four miles.
Here are the transportation considerations:
- The best way to get around is by MAX light rail. Memorial Coliseum is adjacent to the Rose Quarter Transit Center (all four MAX lines), and our Disband area will be near the 9th/10th, Jeld-Wen Field, and Kings Hill MAX stations on the Blue and Red lines.
- A very limited number of Formation/Disband passes are available to vehicles who will be dropping off and picking up flags/marchers but not parking in either vicinity. For more information, contact Brittany McLean, parade AT crpca.org or 817-851-9129.
- If you don’t have a Formation/Disband pass, plan to be dropped off north of Memorial Coliseum, then arrange for your pickup after the parade via cell phone.
- If you must park a vehicle, seek a non-time-limited, free-or-paid spot near Memorial Coliseum if coming from the eastside (arrive before 8:00 am to avoid street closures) or somewhere downtown if coming from the westside. Then allow time to get to the Formation area or from the Disband area via MAX ($2.50 for under 65, $1.00 for age 65+).
Parade Practice Picnic
Our 3rd annual Parade Practice Picnic will be on the evening of Friday, June 7. The Parade Practice is optional for parade participants, but all who’ve attended this event in past years had a terrific time!
The event will begin with a 5:30 pm potluck dinner at the shelter adjacent to Willamette Park’s play structure. Please bring your family/friends and a dish to share, with plates, utensils, and drinks for everyone in your party. (BYOB beer and wine are permitted under our reservation.)
At 7:00 pm the RPCV participants in our Grand Floral Parade entry will practice flagpole assembly and marching protocol, led by our flag providers, Citizens for Global Solutions.
Willamette Park is in SW Portland’s Johns Landing neighborhood. Take SW Macadam to SW Nebraska and turn east toward the Willamette River, then take this road until it ends at a turnaround. If you can find parking there, that’s closest to our gathering point. If not, turn back around and park in the big lot, then walk south to the picnic shelter. Parking is free after 5:00 pm. If on transit, take TriMet bus 35 or 36 to Macadam & Nevada (stop ID 3620 southbound), then walk due east to our picnic shelter. We’ll be there rain or shine!