CRPCA’s 5th Annual Local Campout will take place Friday-Sunday, June 21-23, 2013 at Cape Lookout State Park on the north Oregon coast. CRPCA’s campouts are where our families hike and play together and where friends old and new share stories, songs, food and drink around a campfire.
- Friday, June 21: Check in as early as 4:00 pm
- Saturday, June 22: Potluck dinner at 5:00 pm, followed by a low tide walk for starfish inspection and shell collection, followed by campfire tales and songs
- Sunday, June 23: Check out by 1:00 pm
- Beach: Our Group Tent Area is a short walk from the Pacific Ocean. See below for the estimated tide times.
- Biking: Permitted on park roads.
- Hiking: The Cape Trail is a 2.4 mile trek to the tip of Cape Lookout.
- Exploring: Cape Lookout is on the Three Capes scenic route, which also includes Cape Meares to the north and Cape Kiwanda to the south.
- Junior Ranger: Kids assemble for Junior Ranger activities at 10:00 am each morning.
- Evening Programs: The park hosts campfire programs on interesting nature topics at sundown on summer weekend evenings.
- Capacity: Our reserved Group Tent Area can accommodate up to 50 people in tents, plus 16 vehicles.
- Cell Phones: Your phone should work at Cape Lookout.
- Cooking: The Group Tent Area has two big fire pits and four raised grills for cooking on charcoal.
- Facilities: There are vault toilets and water in the Group Tent Area. It’s a short walk to the main campground’s free showers.
- Shopping: Stock up in Tillamook if you don’t pack everything you need from home.
- Summer solstice: The sun will reach its northern apex at 10:04 pm on Thursday, June 20. What better way to start your summer than with CRPCA friends?
- Full moon: The full moon occurs at 4:33 am on Sunday, June 23. We won’t lack for light all weekend!
- Friday tides: Low 5:54 am, High 12:08 pm, Low 5:36 pm, High 11:25 pm (highest tide of the month)
- Saturday tides: Low 6:44 am, High 1:02 pm, Low 6:31 pm
- Sunday tides: High 12:17 am, Low 7:32 am, High 1:52 pm, Low 7:26 pm
- Face the ocean: Sneaker waves can occur at any time.
- Stay off logs: Waves can roll them onto you.
- If the ground shakes: Move up immediately! For people escaping a tsunami on foot, walk straight out the campground entrance, past the check-in booth and up the hill into the woods. The car escape is to drive south up the hill to the Cape Lookout Trail parking lot.
Directions from Portland
It’ll be about a two hour drive in Friday afternoon traffic. Take US 26 west to US 6 toward Tillamook. In Tillamook, turn left onto US 101 then take the second right onto OR 131 and follow the signs to Cape Lookout. Our prepaid campers will check in at registration then proceed to the Group Tent Area. Day visitors should park in the Day Use Area ($5 parking fee) then take the signed trail to the Group Tent Area.
Our group tent area is SOLD OUT! Here are your options if you’re without a reservation but want to participate:
- Reserve a tent site in the main campground: Tent sites (which allow for one vehicle and up to eight people) are still available at Cape Lookout for Friday but not Saturday night. Expect those to disappear very soon. Including the $8 reservation fee, your cost will be $27 for the one night. Make your reservation today via Reserve America or call 800-452-5687 8am-5pm Mon-Fri. Your camp receipt will be valid for day use on Saturday! After checkout, park in the nearby day use area then join us at the group tent area.
- Visit us for the day on Saturday: For $5, you can park in Cape Lookout’s day use area. We’d love to have you join us in the group tent area!
- Join our alternates list: E-mail Brenda Michel at campout AT crpca.org to join our alternates list in case of cancellations. (Folks with reservations are not guaranteed a refund unless someone on the alternates list is available to take your place.)
Before the campout, contact Brenda Michel at campout AT crpca.org or 503-408-6933. During the campout (but not before), you can reach Brenda at 503-201-0187.